Monday, April 14, 2008

Breakfast du Jour

Tomorrow, I am going to teach myself how to upload photos, but for tonight I'm just going to post the recipe for my new favourite breakfast (Edit: photos are added!). I was inspired by the lovely Chocolate Covered Vegan's recipe for a rice pudding that uses oatmeal instead of rice. Intrigued, I dove into my massive bag of oats and came up with this sweet and filling concoction. Seriously, one bowl of these voluminous oats can keep me satisfied for 5 hours! Now that's a breakfast one can love! The dominant taste in this oatmeal will be banana- I like pumpkin but not when it's too prominent. I use it mostly to give a wonderful golden orange color and also to add some more nutrients.

Pumpkin-Banana Oatmeal Pudding

1 cup water
pinch of salt
1/2 cup rolled oats
scant 1/3 cup pumpkin
1 cup milk of your choice
2 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
1 banana, mashed

(1) In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add salt and oats and simmer until oats are cooked.
(2) Stir pumpkin into oats until well combined. Then toss in milk, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, then turn down heat and simmer until pudding has started to thicken, about 20 minutes.
(3) Mix in the mashed banana. Spoon oatmeal into a bowl and top with raisins and additional brown sugar, if desired. Or eat it with a big scoop of peanut butter like I do :) Makes one generous portion.


PS- I'm going to be really excited if the link to CCV's blog actually works. Yes, I'm easily impressed.

6 comments:

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

It works, it works! See, you are better at computer stuff than you thought ;o).

And you better believe that the first chance I get, I'm going to the grocery store to pick up some pumpkin so I can make your yummy-sounding version of this oatmeal breakfast!

linds said...

haha I clicked and reclicked on my link because I was so excited that it worked...I even added in a pic, I have a few more to add as well :) I'm so proud of myself lol. Maybe I'm on par with your calculator-handling grandma now :)

VeggieGirl said...

Always lovely to start the day with a warm bowl of oatmeal :0)

Thank you for your comment on my blog; and I'm glad to see that you have a blog now, as well!! I will definitely be a regular reader :0)

glidingcalm said...

yum! i love pumpkin oatmeal!

ashley said...

It is so funny that you commented on my blog, because I was just all over yours this afternoon!

THIS breakfast is my favorite! And when you look at all of the great ingredients, you're getting so many nutrients!

I love your blog- I'll be back!

linds said...

Aww thanks veggiegirl, I love your blog and am so happy that you'll be following mine :)

ashley- I have been all over your blog!! Glad to hear from you :)