Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Coconoats!

Breakfast today was so much fun! The picture totally does not do these oats justice, they were delicious :)


Coconoats

2/3 cup water
pinch of salt
1/3 cup rolled oats
1 tsp honey
2/3 cup light coconut milk
1/2 tsp lemon extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 small banana, mashed
2 tbsp dried blueberries

(1) In a small saucepan, bring water to boil. Add salt and oats, simmer until oats are cooked.
(2) Stir in honey, coconut milk, lemon extract, cinnamon, and the mashed banana. Bring to a boil, then simmer until thick (roughly 10 minutes).
(3) Mix in dried blueberries and serve. Makes one bowlful.
I thought up so many ways to top these! Toasted almond slivers, shredded coconut, lemon curd, lemon glaze made with icing sugar and fresh lemon juice- but unfortunately I didn't have any of these on hand. So I just mixed together some plain yogurt and a little maple syrup and poured that on top.
I have sooo much studying to do today. I wrote my Chemistry of Food final exam last night (loved that class) and I have Literature of the Romantic Period tomorrow. Really excited to be done with the Romantics though, I am definitely not a fan. The exam is part identification and (I find, at least) that all the poetry from this time period sounds the same! And they all write odes to each other and whatnot...Ok, enough with my complaining, time to get some work done. Hope everyone else has a great day :0)

9 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

LOVE the name of your oatmeal concoction - super clever :0) Looks quite delicious!

bikergurl said...

Sounds delish! Unfortunately my bf is allergic to nuts (coconut too) so I try to stay away from them when he's around...

Jill said...

Not a coconut fan here, but I may have to try this on some people I know!

glidingcalm said...

wow that looks delish! I've only tried fresh and frozen blueberries...never dried, but when I do use raisins or something, I like to cook them in my oatmeal so they get softer!!

and your kitchen is so cute! and so tiny! but cute and tiny! haha

Katie said...

Oh MY goodness that sounds absolutely divine! I LOVE coocnut and blueberies and mmmm...drooling now.

Anonymous said...

That looks appetizing! :o)

Good luck with your exams!

Monica said...

That oatmeal looks amazing! I love coconut, yum. Your blog is so cute!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

I am honored to be on your blogroll :o)

Your beautifulness is on my blogroll too!

linds said...

thanks to all you guys for being so sweet :) I promise I cook more things than oats...Just not much free time during exams...