Saturday, April 26, 2008

What You've Been Dreaming Of

Oh wow. Check out the chocolate on these babies. I had some light sour cream left over from the Cranberry-Cardamom muffins and decided to do some experimenting with that recipe as my base. The result was fat-free (not counting the pb and chocolate chip extras), super moist, chocolately beyond belief, and absolutely delicious!

Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl Cupcakes

1 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 banana, mashed, plus enough light sour cream to make 1 cup between both ingredients
1/4 cup applesauce
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
natural peanut butter
dark chocolate chips

(1) Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder, all of the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
(2) In another bowl, lightly beat eggs. Add in the 1 cup of banana/light sour cream mixture, applesauce, and vanilla extract. Make a well in dry ingredients and pour in wet. Stir until combined.
(3) Fill well-greased muffin cups 3/4 full with batter. Pour a little under a teaspoon of peanut butter on top of each cupcake, and swirl into batter to create a marbled look. Top with a few chocolate chips. Bake for roughly 15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. You should get about 12 cupcakes.

My review: These were honestly so good. Since I based them off of a muffin recipe, I was going to call them muffins, but these taste wayyy too decadent to be called anything less than cupcakes. I was so impressed with the rich chocolate flavour and the moist, dense texture. The peanut butter and chocolate chip topping are totally optional, but they added a great extra note. I don't count calories, but in case you're wondering, each cupcake has around 150 calories- of course, it also depends on how generous you are with toppings :0). I highly recommend these, and would even use this recipe to make a birthday cake. I doubt anyone would guess it was fat-free!

10 comments:

Monica said...

Those cupcakes look amazing...peanut butter and chocolate can't be beat! And even better that they are fat-free. I can't wait to try this recipe!

VeggieGirl said...

I HAVE been dreaming of those Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl Cupcakes!! Except I think that mine may have had carob in them ;0) They look BEYOND sensational!

bikergurl said...

Fat free chocolate cupcakes? I have to try these the next time I'm baking!

loveofoats said...

now how did you know that that was what i've been dreaming of? b/c it is!!! yummy ;)

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

ok, that’s kinda scary… how did you know what I’ve been dreaming about?! Chocolate-peanut butter cupcakes sound amazing because they incorporate two of my all-time favorite foods!

I think I am going to look quite wonderful with my four melons. Everyone will want to be me…

Katie said...

Oh wow. My husband would go ape over these!! They look great.

arimcg said...

I am making these ASAP.

Also, I have been sleeping on your blog all this time. I'm sorry. I love it!

Tina said...

Yum! Those cupcakes look delicious! I could go for one right now!

S. said...

Jesus Mary and Joseph those look incredible.

prettyface said...

OMG!!! Peanut butter cupcakes?? My eyes have seen heaven! And this is not good for my diet :-)