Thursday, May 15, 2008

More Kitchen Creativity

Well, my photography skills certainly haven't improved in my absence.... My apologies for another blurry photo! Just pretend this one looks appetizing, because I can assure you the taste was fantastic!! I hope to get back to blogging on a regular basis, I've really missed it. Life has just been kinda crazy lately! Job hunting, moving, graduating, gorgeous weather and trying to see as many friends as possible before we all head our separate ways... Needless to say, most of my meals have consisted of whatever random ingredients I can find to combine into something edible. Today's breakfast happened to be one of those times when I didn't realize I was out of a vital component and had to get creative- the result was much sweeter than anything I'd usually choose for breakfast, but would make an awesome dessert! I had decided on Overnight Swiss Oats but woke up to find that I was somehow all out of yogurt....What to substitute?? What else is creamy, thick, and delicious?? Chocolate pudding!!!!!!!


Overnight Pudding Oats! What a decadent breakfast!

1/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup boiling water
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp cinnamon
half banana, sliced
1 pudding cup (I used Zen Soy chocolate soy pudding- probably about 1/3 cup worth)

(1) Combine oats, water, vanilla and cinnamon. Let sit out until water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Then cover and put in fridge overnight.
(2) Stir in sliced banana and pudding cup. A tablespoon of raspberry jam would also be an awesome addition at this point. Enjoy!

This actually kept me full for longer than I thought- oatmeal's satiation power with the deliciousness of chocolate pudding was definitely a winning combination. I can't wait to make this again, and maybe experiment with other pudding flavours and fruit mix-ins.

Oh and yes, that is pb on my spoon. I have this problem where I put into every dish I can.......

6 comments:

loveofoats said...

lol i seem to be having the same problem with pb!

VeggieGirl said...

Ah yes, life definitely gets busy; but I'm glad to see you posting again! And hey, the photograph of your Overnight Pudding Oats looks great to me; and the oats themselves certainly DO look/sound delicious!! Yum!!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Chocolate pudding for breakfast?! I love you!

But I AM very jealous of you— MY giant banana has not yet arrived. I am starting to suspect that the fed-ex guy saw it and loved it so much that he stole it :o/. Please order my another one ASAP!

Ugh… I am job-hunting too… it’s not fun.

oatmeal said...

Hahaha that's the perfect subsitute for yogurt--It sounds very appetizing indeed!
And yeah I definitely have the same problem with the need to add PB to everything...that or needing to eat a spoonful of it everyday :p

healthyceliac said...

That looks delicious! Seriously...oatmeal AND pudding for breakfast. I don't think it would be possible to create a breakfast that would make me happier!

Rach-ums said...

Yummy! I love the combo of chocolate + oatmeal. Never tried the overnight oats but it sounds so easy that I must do it soon.