Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Craving = Satisfied!

I was up at 5am this morning with the perfect bowl of oats- a little over 1/3 cup (40g) of oats, 1/2 of a ripe banana, 1/2 cup skim milk, 1/2 cup water, a pinch of salt, lots of cinnamon and raisins. All topped off with brown sugar and an almond butter spoonful. They were sooo creamy this morning! I'm not sure if I did anything different from the usual but these tasted even better than they normally do. I think I want oats again tomorrow morning :)


Coffee too! And at 5am, I needed it :)

Packed lunch to bring to work- the final serving of my pear and grains yogurt, some cantaloupe with blueberries (best fruit combo ever, try it if you haven't already!), a slice of cinnamon raisin Ezekiel bread with some blueberry jam, and baggies of carrots, yellow cherry tomatoes, and celery.


After seeing Erica's massive and delicious looking burrito yesterday I knew exactly what I wanted for dinner tonight! My craving was definitely satisfied with the amazing filling I cooked up- I sauteed a diced red bell pepper with a couple of baby carrots and some celery in a bit of olive oil, then I stirred in 2 big spoonfuls of Old El Paso Burrito seasoning mix (all my spices are in storage or else I would have made my own blend). I added in a few tablespoons of salsa and let it all cook together for a bit. I then chopped up a sweet potato that I microwaved for a bit to jump-start the cooking process, then added that in too along with some broccoli and mushrooms. Near the end I threw in some black beans and a couple of sliced black olives. All I can say is, wow! What fantastic flavour! The veggies were still slightly crispy and the sweet potato was soft yet also a little crispy- haha I can't describe it, it was just awesome.


I wish I had thought to pick up an avocado! Some guac on top would have totally made this. Next time I might stir in a can of fat-free refried beans too just to up the creamy/crispy factor. I knew this baby would not stay rolled so I didn't even try it eat it out of hand, instead I melted a little camembert on top and used a knife and fork. I am so happy with this veggie burrito mix! It came out so tasty and I have lots of leftovers now :)

I used Kamut flour tortillas and loved them. They kind of remind me of the tortilla used in the Amy's frozen burritos. Soft but with a good chew and texture.


And for dessert, a nice little bowl of frozen grapes :)


So I am still homeless for September... No apartment yet, I think it's time to intensify the search. I'm working again all day tomorrow so expect to see more of the same :) Have a good night!

9 comments:

loveofoats said...

good luck w/ the home searching!!!!

i love your eats... even though its night time that cup of coffee has sparked a craving because it looks just TOO good haha... as do those extra creamy oats!!

Jenn said...

Those oats look so good! I definitely want oatmeal tomorrow morning now!

I just finished off a bowl of frozen grapes for dessert too :o)

Danielle said...

Good luck with the apartment-hunting! In the mean time enjoy the rest of that burrito :) it looks amazing!

VeggieGirl said...

Mmm, oatmeal!! :0)

Best of luck with your apartment search - hang in there!!

lizzy said...

the honey graham zbar is the only one i havent tried yet also!!, and its funny you say that because I was at whole foods today and had it in my hand...but put it back for my favorite chocolate chip zbar! frozen grapes are the best summertime dessert..yours look sooo good with tiny icicles on them!

Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) said...

Love frozen grapes! They are such a nice, healthy treat!

just me said...

mmmm...that burrito looks DIVINE!

g'luck w/ the home searching! I'm sure you'll find something; no worries!

ashley said...

Good luck with the apartment search! I know it can be TOUGH!

erica said...

yum, your burrito looks delicious!