Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Magic of Oats + COOKED FOOD!!!

I enjoyed waking up with the sun this morning! As long as I get enough sleep I love waking up early :) I made sure to get up with plenty of time to get ready for work so that I could fully enjoy my morning coffee and meal. Banana oatmeal was the only thing I wanted and this bowl really delivered! I made my oats with 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup skim milk, 1/2 cup water, a pinch of salt, cinnamon, and a small banana. I stirred in some brown sugar at the end and then topped with vanilla almond granola and an almond butter spoonful. Heaven! I upped my portion this morning from 1/3 to 1/2 cup because I knew I'd need the fuel to work until 12 with only a 15 minute break (definitely not enough time for lunch) and my oats did not let me down- I was only starting to feel hungry when I sat down to lunch at 1:30! Talk about the magic of oats here :)


And as my title says, lunch today was cooked! By me! IN my apartment! Hahaha now the reason why I'm so excited about this is because I haven't been able to do any of my own stove-top or oven cooking because our stove is a piece of (insert expletive) and doesn't work. But, my roommate and I recently discovered that if we turn on the gas and manually light the burner, we can cook! Not the safest thing to do but we make sure to turn the gas off when we're done and this way we're able to cook food. So, in my excitement I whipped up some broccoli stir-fried with the juice of half an orange, orange zest, a ton of fresh chopped ginger, and tamari. Then I grilled some tofu with hot sauce and added everything to some udon noodles. Sprinkled honey roasted almonds on top and lunch was served!


It's always more fun to eat with chopsticks :) I had some delicious juicy papaya for dessert too.


Off to run some errands before I go in to work at my other job for 7 :)

5 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Yep, there's nothing quite like a bowl of banana-oatmeal to start one's day off right - except for banana-HAZELNUT-BUTTER oatmeal ;0)

What a gorgeous lunch!!

Jenn said...

Gorgeous lunch! Hurray for being able to cook on your stove, too - but be careful! I only say that because one time my dad left the gas from our burner on. My mom realized it in the middle of the night when she woke up with an extreme headache. Then she proceeds to send me an email in the middle of the night while I'm away at school telling me, "Your dad left the gas on - don't worry, we're fine." Um - let me just say I was a bit freaked out when I woke up!!

Katie said...

Yum! I love your blog. All your pictures look great.

every gym's nightmare said...

wow, i have all that stuff you had for lunch in my fridge.

thanks,cause now i dont have to stand in front of the fridge for hours trying to decide what to eat

www.groundedfitness.com

CeciLiA said...

Wow, your oatmeal makes me SWOON! They look simple yet so DELECTABLE!!

YAY for hot lunch ... man, you're one creative child - love your tofu dish!! They must have tasted so damn good!