Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Sweltering Shop

Despite the insane heat I spent a good amount of time outside today, walking around the city and browsing health food stores. I didn't want to have to carry too much home so I picked up just a few things...


  • English Cucumber
  • Rotisserie Chicken
  • Ezekiel Wraps
  • Whole Wheat Couscous
  • Tin Foil (to keep my wraps intact!)
  • Shredded Carrots
  • Locally Grown Strawberries
  • Organic Spinach and Dill Hummus
  • Gingersnap Larabar

I cleaned the chicken as soon as I got home and then started to put dinner together. I made a salad with cucumber, carrots and strawberries (which were absolutely divine- what a difference locally grown makes!) drizzled with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Then I boiled water for the couscous in the microwave and added some cinnamon and raisins to the grain- I also added on a touch of Agave Nectar to play up the sweetness a little more. Chicken on the side, and voila! A delicious dinner needing only a bit of microwaving to be "cooked".




I love how the French think about food- meat is a smaller portion and more of a side to a larger portion of vegetables. I adore French Women Don't Get Fat and French Women For All Seasons by Mireille Guiliano and I have definitely taken her food philosophies to heart. This was such a simple, pleasurable meal, and now I am perfectly satisfied and ready to go to work! (Ok maybe not quite.) Have a good night!

***EDIT*** I wound up having dessert tonight... I had a massive (not even kidding) waffle cone of gelato!! I had a mix of oreo, mint chocolate chip, and rum crocciantino. I could have been satisfied with less.

5 comments:

just me said...

Food looks delicious! have a good night at work! and your posts are looking good!

Danielle said...

I, too, adore the French philosophy of eating!

By the way... so happy to have you back! I didn't realize you were until your comment on your blog and I am definitely going to be a regular again :).

Cheers to enjoying simple, healthy, delicious food!

CeciLiA said...

Locally grown strawberries and organic Spinach and Dill Hummus????!! Boy, do they sound delicious! I miss strawberries so so much :0(

Your strawberry salad looks scrumptious!!

Have a great day :0)

anou said...

Hey Linds,

Where did you get the ezekiel wraps and the barbaras cereal??? I ve never seen these here...

Good to have u back on the blog !

Anou

linds said...

Hey Anou! I've found Barbara's at the provigo on Parc and the one at Mont Royal, and the Ezekiel wraps at this health food store on St. Laurent past Mont Royal.. I think it's called Berri something or other... They have tons of great stuff :)