Thursday, August 14, 2008

Boston!

I'm back! But I really wish I was still there, I had such an amazing time! I don't have a ton of food pics to share but I do have some scenic ones and lots of stories :) We spent a lot of time at Cape Cod and a day in Provincetown, which is where most of the pics here were taken:


Beach at sunset.

Rainbows EVERYWHERE in P-town!


I also got to vist two other popular tourist attractions (ok for me at least) Trader Joe's and Whole Foods!!!! Ahhhh!!! I had a field day inside both stores. It was honestly so exciting for me to browse the aisles, and find all the foods I see on my favourite blogs :) At Whole Foods I had to pick up a vegan chocolate chip scone after seeing all of Erica's posts on them, and wow this baked good did not disappoint! (Like you can't already tell, the picture is of my scone after I had a few bites haha I couldn't resist!).

And then there was the yogurt. Oh my god, the yogurt. I picked up a coconut milk-based So Delicious in Passionate Mango and was immediately in dairy-free heaven. It was so thick and rich and delicious, definitely better than most sweetened yogurts I've tried. I was impressed by this one for sure. The only downfall was the lower protein amount, versus dairy yogurts. I was also introduced to Stonyfield Farms on my trip, but I feel that I can't give a fair review on their yogurt because I tried it after I tried Fage and Fage is the GREATEST YOGURT EVER!!!!!!! I only tried the 2% but it absolutely blew me away. There is nothing like this in Canada. I felt like every spoonful was an indulgence and am still contemplating a way to have Fage delivered to me daily via a personal refrigerated Fage truck. Yeah, that's how in love I am :) Another thing I am in love with is the cost of groceries at the stores I visited- Canadian prices are consistently higher than the US ones I saw. Larabars at TJ's were $1.29- at my local store it's $3.00 for one.

I did more than grocery shop though, I swear! I went to my boyfriend's house on Cape Cod on Friday and for dinner we had fresh scallops, steamed summer squash, salad, and mashed potatoes. Oh how I miss fresh seafood, the quality where I am now just doesn't measure up to the Nova Scotian standards I was raised on. These were perfect though and definitely satisfied a craving! On Saturday I went to the beach with the bf and his sister and her three kids, and after a long day in the sun we went back to the house and had lobster, steamers, corn on the cob, salad and wine for dinner. They definitely spoiled me there :) We went out for ice cream after dinner (there was a lot of ice cream during this trip) and watched some of the Olympics. Go Michael Phelps!!!!!!!!

Provincetown was our next destination, where we did a lot of walking and browsing in shops along the waterfront. We stopped for lunch at a cafe that served very fresh, light tasting fare. I ordered a turkey, bacon, avocado and tomato sandwich on ciabatta with a side salad and the bf got a falafel pita (which I of course stole my fair share of bites from!). And what's a meal without some ice cream?! We shared (and by shared I mean I ate most of it) a Half-Baked frozen yogurt cone from Ben & Jerry's. I also had about 3 iced coffees haha I just love the way it's made here! Just coffee and maybe some milk over ice. Sounds simple, but few of the affordable coffee shops back home will make you something like this.

And of course there was Boston! We went shopping on Newbury street and to some other fancy centers that I can't remember the name of right now. I got to see Fenway park and do a lot of walking- Boston is such a beautiful city. We stopped for dinner at PF Chang's one night (I remember reading about the lettuce wrap appetizer on someone's blog...) and I am sooo happy we did, dinner there was great! The bf and I started with the vegetarian lettuce wraps and they were the highlight of the dinner, I am going to have to find a way to recreate these. We also shared the Kung Pao chicken and the Dan Dan noodles, both were fantastic! The noodles were chewy egg noodles with a ground chicken sauce served with sliced cucumber and bean sprouts to cut the heat a little. This is another one that I am definitely going to be recreating :) And then guess what came after dinner- surprise! Ice cream! Cold Stone's was right around the corner and I was dying to try the legendary cake batter flavour. I ordered a little too much and had to enlist my boyfriend's services in finishing it off, but wow did it ever taste good. So creamy!

I took the overnight bus last night to get home this morning and I'm a little beat by now but I wanted to get this post up before morning so I may be adding in a few more details as they come to me :) I did save the best for last though- here is my loot from the TJ's and Whole Foods shopping trips! The Chocolate Coconut Chew Larabar is available in Canada but none of the other ones are.

Pictured here is a Coconut Cream Pie Larabar, a Chocolate Coconut Chew Larabar, a Peanut Butter Cookie Larabar, a Clif PB Pretzel Mojo Bar, a Kashi GoLean Chewy Chocolate Almond Toffee bar, a Blueberry Crisp Clif Bar, a PB&J Dipped Clif Mojo Bar, and two z-bars- Apple Cinnamon and Blueberry. Annnnnd a jar of PB&Co's Mighty Maple PB! I was a happy girl after finding this :) I'll be sure to let you guys know how everything is!



I really want some sleep so I will be seeing you in the morning for breakfast and I'm hoping on getting in some gym time too! This vacation was awesome and I loved every treat that I had, but I'm feeling a little sluggish now and know that I need to eat more veggies and get in some movement tomorrow. Goodnight!

6 comments:

Jenn said...

Sounds like a fantastic trip! I'm glad you had such a good time and got to try out some of my favorite places - P.F. Chang's (love the Kung Pao chicken!) and COLDSTONE! Yum :o)

Let me know what you think of the new ZBaR flavors! I've tried blueberry and think it's AMAZING, but would love to know what apple cinnamon is like!

Glad you're back :o)

VeggieGirl said...

Ahh, you reminded me just how much I looove Boston and the Cape - fabulous trip!!

LARABARS!!!! VeggieGirl specialty :0)

Danielle said...

Glad to have you back! Like I said... I missed you and your posts while you were galavanting through new england :). Sounds like you had a great time and eat lots of good American food! Can't wait to see more pictures once you've rested up!

sportsnutritionliving said...

Glad you had a good trip and got home safe... i think boston is a great city and so enjoyable to visit!

erica said...

Sounds like you had a great trip! Glad you're back. :)

I'm so happy that you liked the scone.. they're so addictive! And the mighty maple PB is a new favorite of mine, I'm sure you'll love it.

Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) said...

I'm glad you had such a wonderful time!