Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A Better Banana Bread

I've quickly come to the realization that I am not an everyday blogger. Or even an every two day blogger. Posting my meals is boring for me and I hate feeling like my entries are uninspired and lacking in creativity! Therefore, I'm going back to why I created this blog in the first place- to share my love for good food and the pleasure involved with it in the form of recipes and other musings :) And I think I'm going to be a lot happier doing it :) I'll also update a little along the way about how my recasting is going (French Women Don't Get Fat- for those who missed me mentioning it before).

The recipe that awakened me from my blog slumber and brought about the utter need to post was, fittingly, a breakfast one. I love muffins and quick breads for breakfast but I don't love their sugar content, so I came up with a banana bread-like pancake recipe that uses only one tablespoon of sweetener (I used agave but I bet honey would be great too!). The recipe is based on my favourite pancake template, from vegan baking queen Hannah Kaminsky.

Banana Bread Pancakes

1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
pinch of salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup vanilla soymilk
1 tbsp agave nectar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp pureed banana

Mix first 4 (dry) ingredients. Mix wet separately. Slice remaining part of banana very thinly and gently fold into dry ingredients at the same time you mix in the wet. Don't overmix! Let sit for up to 10 minutes. Pour batter onto a greased pan and cook until edges are dry and bubbles start to pop in the middle of your pancake. Then flip and cook until underside is lightly browned. Serve with maple syrup, peanut butter, or both :) The banana slices melt into the batter and give a rich banana bread flavour- definitely worth waking up for!



I did a nutritional facts analysis using calorie-count.com's recipe feature and came up with this: each serving (one recipe) provides apprx. 430 calories, 1.5g fat, 9.5g fiber, 11.4g protein. Obviously, any substitutions will alter these approximations.

12 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Linds!! Glad to see you posting again. As you've seen on my blog, I'm not an everyday blogger either - I say, just post whenever you can and have something to say/share :0)

Oooh pancakes!! Hannah's recipes are definitely great inspirations!!

Happy Tuesday!!

ttfn300 said...

Good for you! These sound awesome, too :)

Erin at caretoeat.net said...

Who needs another everyday blogger? (Tee hee.) I'm glad you're doing what suits you.
Those pancakes sound righteous.

Anonymous said...

Sounds great! How many pancakes does a recipe make?

linds said...

Hi anonymous! Sorry that I forgot to mention that bit- I usually get 2 decent sized pancakes out of one recipe. Perfectly filling for one person!

Danielle said...

These pancakes sound amazing! And just think, now that you'll be posting with a purpose rather than daily 'just because' it'll be super extra special. I know I'm excited :)

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Linds! Gosh, I haven't "talked" to you in toooo long! I should check your blog more often, as those banana pancakes sound amazing! (Now if only I weren't missing a certain giant banana...)

sportsnutritionliving said...

SOunds great both the pancakes and your decisions on the blog!

Simple and Divine said...

Y.U.M.!!! Sounds SO good!

Ever since I have had to update my ECTO (Window's Live Writer for Macs), I haven't posted! I've been so FReAkING busy and have so many pictures and posts that I've started too! Grr... Gotta hop to it!

Back to studying for me! XO

bobbi said...

yum yum yum!

Anonymous said...

I made these this morning and they were soo soo good! I want to eat them every day for every meal :D

linds said...

Anonymous: I am so so happy you tried them and liked them!!!! I'm pretty sure they're on my menu for tomorrow's breakfast... :)