Monday, September 29, 2008

Kermit-Colored

I beg to differ with Mr. Kermit the Frog- it is VERY easy to be green! Especially with this bright smoothie :) I've heard about green smoothies and the even more healthful process of jucicing and drinking your greens, and now that I've finally tried it I can't believe I waited so long.

For this smoothie I started with roughly a cup of frozen mango chunks. Then I added a good handful of spinach (washed and stems removed), some ice cubes, and a little unsweetened soymilk (or you could use water, to make it Raw). I gave it an extra-long run in the blender just to make sure I wouldn't wind up with spinachy bits. What I finally got to taste was a rich, thick, refreshing smoothie. The spinach gave a great texture and provided a balance to the sweet mango. I loved it this way, but if you're a little wary of spinach in your smoothies or want a sweeter taste, adding in half a banana would most likely add that extra creamy sweetness.

Greens in general have been on my mind a lot lately since I started reading Kristen's Raw, both her blog and her raw lifestyle pages. While I don't think a 100% raw vegan lifestyle is the one for me, I really like her philosophy and her energy. I do feel "better", more alive, when I eat pure, unprocessed foods in their natural states. I'm going to try to do a raw day- just to see how it makes me feel. And if that's the only 100% raw day I ever do, that's fine by me, because no matter what else I'm eating I know my new love for green smoothies will ensure I'm getting in *some* raw all the time :)

10 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

YUM!!! Green smoothies are amazing.

Saw your comment on my blog - be sure to check back for tonight's post!!! :0)

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

I want a Kermit smoothie now! Must put mango on my grocery list... I'm off to do that now, in fact.

Conquerbysmiling said...

yumm! I made a kermit smoothie once, they are delicious!!! Its awesome because they make you feel really healthy too:]

Danielle said...

Green smoothies! I've been meaning to try them.... now I have no choice :). Once it really gets hot I have a feeling this may become a breakfast staple, can't wait!

Erin at caretoeat.net said...

I'm excited to try this!

Tina said...

Oh my gosh, your smoothie looks so cool! Love it!

Kristen's Raw said...

Thanks so much for the shout-out! Glad to hear you're enjoying your greens :)

Have a super fun day!!!

Kristen

lighterportions said...

I don't think I could ever do the raw lifestyle but a raw day here and there is a pretty swell idea.

And I definitely love me some spinach in my smoothies. I've done it a couple times now and it has never failed to please.

GroundedFitness said...

I guess its true that if its green, it has atleast one healthy ingredient in it.

i want one!

Kelly Turner
www.groundedfitness.com

Melissa said...

That looks interesting!!!! Either gross or delish, I can't decide :)